Following the protest we held an organising meeting to debate what to do next at Sheffield Hallam Uni. It was decided that we shall now go under the name Sheffield Hallam Free Gaza Movement. Under this name we shall build initiatives and campaigns and continue to put pressure on the university management to fulfil the demands of the occupation.
Current campaigns and initiatives:
End victimisation at Sheffield Hallam:
- Matt Vicary's displinary hearing is scheduled for Thursday 19th February (the union haven't given Matt a time yet). We aim to gather as much support for Matt as possible so we shall be meeting at 12 noon til 2pm on the Concourse outside the Owen Building everyday until the hearing to hand out leaflets and inform students on what is happening. To ensure it's not the same people flyering everyday, we encourage you to help out with this. Even if you can only come along for a short while.
- On the day of the hearing (Thurs 19th Feb) we shall be holding a rally followed by a picket at the students union. Times etc to be confirmed.
- Please continue to email Russ Swannack, the union president, to express your sentiments: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- You can also join the 'FREE GAZA; Stop victimisations at Sheffield Hallam!' Facebook group and send messages of solidarity: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=54289401540&ref=mf
Stop the War Society
- We are currently organising the formation of a Stop the War society at Hallam. If you are interested in joining this initiative or being on the committee please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Meeting: FREE GAZA! What the students are doing
- A public meeting on student activism and the free Palestine campaigns. Time and venue to be confirmed.
- A Sheffield music event to raise money and awareness for Palestine and our campaign. With local bands and DJs. Time and venue to be comfirmed.
Books Not Bombs
- We shall be organising a Books Not Bombs campaign (similarly seen at Nottingham University). Where we ask students to donate books which will be sent to Gaza. We shall be approaching the university for support in this campaign as they throw away loads of useable books and computers which could be sent to Gaza. Aswell as offering practical help to Palestine, this campaign can be a way to raise awareness amongst students and enable them to contribute.
Boycott Israeli goods
- A campaign to end the sales of Israeli goods on our campuses. We shall also be targeting food giants who support Israel. For this we shall be looking for support from the University and College Union and the Palestine Solidarity Campaign.
We shall keep you updated on the campaigns. If you would like to help out please do not hesitate to get in touch. Email us at: email@example.com